A Little Background

How this endeavor began: When we moved overseas and after having my fifth child, I wanted desperately to have something to do. I had learned to crochet when I was 22, and while I made many blankets, I never really tried to push past basic stitches. That worked while I stayed at home and raised my four oldest children. When the youngest of those went to school full time, I went to work outside of the home. This was something I LOVED. I worked for two years, and then found myself pregnant again. While I wouldn’t change having my youngest for anything in the world, I knew I wasn’t going to be able to go back to work after she was born. I wanted to. I had planned to, but holding her in my arms and looking at the price of daycare in the states, I knew it wasn’t going to happen. There I was back at home, being a full time mom again. Now don’t get me wrong, I love being a mom. I love being there at home with my kids when they are little, but I also desperately missed working. You know, actually pulling in a paycheck. That paycheck is a nice validation. Motherhood, unfortunately, doesn’t pay so hot.

We as a family decided to take a great opportunity overseas. I thought this would be an amazing experience personally as well as for my kids. However, I knew I needed something, so I figured I’d turn back to crochet. It was something I loved doing, and I made some personal goals. One, learn new stitches, trying and mastering those. Two, learning to read a pattern. I have become quite good most of those. I admit there are still patterns out there that make no freaking sense, and while I appreciate the effort of those who write them, if I paid for them and ask a question, the nice thing would be to answer. But I digress. I thought in my naivety that I could sell the items I made. While I was able to sell a couple of pieces; it was nothing compared to my output. I now have five plus large boxes of completed items I would love to sell. I run in to the issue that people don’t want to even pay what it cost me to pay for basic materials. Seriously? Now, it’s two years later. I still haven’t had any luck with selling items, but I don’t stop. One, I love the craft. To me, it’s art in action. Two, it gives me something to do while my toddler runs amok. Three, it is a truly relaxing activity that I can multitask with. That means I can read, watch my daughter, watch the TV, and crochet all at the same time. I like having so many balls in the air. It’s why I loved working outside of the home so much.

Well, I hope this opens some insights into me and how and why I crochet. Perhaps not. I hope everyone can find that something that allows them to express themselves. I hope everyone can find something that inspires them to keep learning, keep striving, and no matter the frustration, never give up.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pattern and Yarn Review: Scarfie and the Iris Cowl

What Am I?